Billings Public Schools Forums

School Community Committee Meeting - January 28, 2008

Proceeding of the School/Community Committee Meeting

District No. 2, Yellowstone County

High School District No. 2, Yellowstone County

Billings, Montana

January 28, 2008

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order by Tim Trafford.

Members Present:

Tim Trafford, Scott Anderson, Nancy Hines, Jim Hartung, Kevin Croff, Jay Kirk, Amanda Frickle, and Kelly O’Leary.

Members Excused:

Dawn Achten, Kathy Aragon, and Jan McCandless.

Guest Present:

Dan Vierthaler, Patti Vierthaler, Cathy Pike, Mary Jo Fox, and Susan O’Leary.

Communication from the Public:

None

Approval of the November 26, 2007 School/ Community Committee.

Jim Hartung made the motion seconded by Kevin Croff to approve the November 26, 2007 School/Community Committee minutes with the following correction: change spelling of Harthung to Hartung. The motion passed unanimously.

Introduction of New Members:

Amanda Frickle a West High student and Kelly O’Leary a Senior High student introduced themselves and were welcomed by the School/Community members.

Skyview PAC Committee:

Dan Vierthaler, co-president/Skyview PAC Committee, Patti Vierthaler, co-president/Skyview PAC Committee, Skyview teacher, and Cathy Pike, vice president/Skyview PAC Committee were present to discuss issues regarding the district’s “Zero Tolerance Smoking policy”. (text provided by Skyview PAC members is included following minutes as “Addendum A”).

Committee Chair, Tim Trafford noted that Board member, Mary Jo Fox was present to provide history regarding the enforcement issue of the “No Smoking policy” by the Board. Tim Trafford explained that he was not present when the policy was originally discussed, but he was present when the discussion took place that prompted the administration to enforce the “No Smoking policy”.

Mary Jo Fox stated that she spoke with the School Resource Officer at Skyview regarding how the “No Smoking policy” was being enforced. Mary Jo Fox noted that she had concerns and informally bought the issue of the enforcement of the “No Smoking policy” to a School Board meeting as a parent of a Skyview student.

Mary Jo Fox reported that Federal, State, and District Policy is clear that no one can smoke on school or government property. Mary Jo Fox explained that school funding is tied to following federal laws. In addition, minors can not possess cigarettes. Mary Jo Fox stated that by not enforcing the “No Smoking policy”, the Board is allowing an illegal activity to occur at the school level. Mary Jo Fox suggested that if Skyview parents want Skyview students to smoke on school property they would have to change the federal and state law, and the school policy.

There was discussion regarding if and how often police officers cruise the Skyview area. The consensus was that the police do cruise the area, but if a problem arises the School Resource Officer is the one that will respond.

There was brief discussion regarding sidewalk property issues and who is responsible. Property owners around Skyview, should be reporting damage to their property by Skyview students to the police instead of school officials.

There was some discussion regarding how many Skyview PAC members agree with Skyview students smoking on school property. Members questioned how many At-Risk students drop out of school over the “No Smoking policy”.

As the past principal of Senior High, questions regarding student smoking were directed to Scott Anderson. Scott Anderson stated that complaints are still being made over students smoking, smoking is still happening in surrounding neighborhoods and it is a constant struggle for the schools and the neighborhoods. Scott Anderson noted businesses around Senior High put up no trespassing signs and have helped to discourage smoking on their property. Scott Anderson suggested current attitudes towards smoking laws have helped, but it is still a challenge.

There was discussion regarding Skyview parents not supporting the mill levy over the “No Smoking policy”. Mary Jo Fox reminded that the upcoming election is an elementary level mill levy. Mary Jo Fox made it clear that as a board member, until the law is changed, she is obligated by oath to enforce it.

Student members on the School Community Committee reported that from their perspective the majority of students were not in favor of students smoking on school campus nor would they advocate a place for students to smoke on campus.

Tim Trafford and Mary Jo Fox, as Board members, clarified that principals and the School Resource Officers do not have the discretion to choose which school policies they can or can not enforce. The Board is decisive that the “No Tolerance No Smoking policy” will be enforced. Mary Jo Fox suggested that the district should set the bar high even for At-Risk students. Mary Jo Fox reminded the Committee, the Mission statement of the district states that we offer all kids an education. Not that all kids will be educated. There are many reasons some students will not be educated because of their behaviors.

Tim Trafford was clear that illegal activity within the school district must be reported and punishment issued by law enforcement. Tim Trafford suggested help for student smokers could be reviewed by providing help with such things as the cessation classes.

Dan Vierthaler and the other PAC members brought this issue to the School Community Committee suggesting that the “smoker’s corner” is not necessarily the solution, but they want the district to be aware of the ramification of the enforcement of the “Zero Tolerance Smoking policy.” They are requesting the board come up with solutions to address it proactively.

Tim Trafford thanked the Skyview PAC for bringing their concerns to the School Community Committee meeting. Tim Trafford noted that the Board wants to be aware if a policy is not working even if it is not necessarily changed.

February Meeting:

The February meeting date is changed to February 11, 2008. Agenda Item E, Overview of Communication Plan for School District 2 and Agenda Item F, Zangle as a Tool for Parent Use was moved to the February 11, 2008 meeting.

Adjournment:

The meeting adjourned at 7:35 p.m.

___________________ ______________________

Tim Trafford, Chair Brenda, Recorder

Addendum A

I. Introduction: Thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak with you this evening about a very important issue. The issue I am referring to is student smokers at Skyview H.S. I am speaking on behalf of the Skyview Parent’s Advisory Committee, which I co-chair with my wife Patti. I am also a parent of a Skyview student, as well as a Castle Rock student who will soon attend Skyview. You should also know that I am a life-long non-smoker and an individual who values and appreciates the importance of rules; particularly for our youth. A year ago the Board approved and funded the installation of a school security system at Skyview. The system was purchased to improve student safety and help school officials effectively deal with a variety of problems associated with a large school such as Skyview. The security system has been extremely successful. School officials have been able to quickly and decisively address numerous issues, to include some which involved criminal activity. From the onset, students were made aware the cameras had been installed. They were told the cameras would be used to monitor their activity and ensure their safety, both inside and outside of the school. Despite this warning, the students who frequented Smoker’s Corner continued to congregate in their designated location under the watchful eye of the security system. A few months ago a good intentioned parent expressed concern about her daughter’s exposure to cigarette smoke when passing Smoker’s Corner. Her concern was subsequently brought to the attention of the School Board and the Media. And that is why we are here today. Although good intentioned, the Skyview PAC believes the Board underestimated the scope of this problem and was not given the benefit of all the facts associated with this issue. Our intention is to give the Board the benefit of information they may have not had previously.

II. History of “Smoker’s Corner”: Just a few short years ago Skyview sat alone on a hilltop in open prairie. Today it is surrounded by an ever growing residential community. As the exterior confines of Skyview High School have shrunk, problems associated with the arrival of new neighbors have grown. Like a wilderness area which had been encroached upon by development, students and residents began to have unpleasant encounters with one another. Frequently, the students involved in those incidents were “at risk” kids who smoked. In response to an escalating problem, school administrators came up with a solution. Rather than attempt to fight a losing battle with the students and simply placate irritated neighbors, school officials came up with a solution that “encouraged” students to congregate in one location. That site was located on the edge of school property, close enough so they could get to class without being tardy. They were also provided a garbage can for their cigarette butts and other trash. More importantly, everyone, including outside trouble-makers, knew the site was under the watchful eye of school officials, courtesy of the new school surveillance system. Consequently, problems at the site, which became known as “Smoker’s Corner”, became non-existent. Despite the success of this solution, as we all know, Smoker’s Corner has been abolished. The problems which have since ensued are numerous and serious. The problems include trespassing, vandalism, theft, and burglary. Even worse, is the fact that a predatory environment now exists outside the safe confines of Skyview. This has resulted in assaults and undoubtedly, the use and sale of illegal drugs. When I say drugs I’m not talking about cigarettes. I’m talking about the likes of marijuana, methamphetamine and pills. And why has this occurred? The answer is simple, students are no longer under the watchful eye of the school security system. Innovative thinking and problem solving resulted in the establishment of “Smoker’s Corner”. Combined with the installation of the new school security system, this solution was a tremendous success. The problems described previously completely stopped. Completely….

III. Existing Problem: No one in this room would advocate smoking by our children. Many of us have lost loved ones due to the effects of smoking. Yes, I agree that we need to have rules and send the right message to our kids. And I do not want my kids or yours, those who choose not to smoke, to be exposed to the bad decisions of others. But, with that said, we have an obligation to see the “big picture” and not be short sighted. Many kids come from a culture of smoking. Their parents and grandparents smoke. And at times, their cigarettes are purchased by their own parents. If we as parents and elected officials think we are going to “legislate” kids into not smoking we are fooling ourselves. City or district policies will not deter most kids from smoking. A little over a year ago Crossroads Alternative School was closed due to financial constraints. As we all know, Crossroads was intended for “At Risk” kids. It provided a setting where an attempt could be made to save “At Risk” kids from dropping out of school. Many of those “At risk” students were smokers. Following the closure of Crossroads, Skyview and the community’s other public high schools became responsible for our “At Risk” kids. The burden of keeping those kids in school became their responsibility. Realizing the challenges of this circumstance, the School Board provided limited funding to help with this daunting task. Until recently, the alternative program developed by Skyview had been very successful. A successful AT Risk Program requires the cultivation of positive relationships between students, faculty and administrators. Students who come from dysfunctional homes with little or no support generally do not have the benefit of positive relationships with the adults in their lives. The starting point for any effective At Risk Program is the development of positive student/faculty relations. Without it, nothing else can occur. The current “Zero Tolerance” policy which led to the abolishment of Smoker’s Corner has driven a wedge between “At Risk” students and school officials. It has had an obvious chilling effect. And it begs the question, “At what cost are we implementing this policy? Does the immediate goal outweigh all of the negative consequence?” If “At Risk” students fail, we as a community also fail and must deal with the consequences. As a law enforcement official of the past 19 years, I tell you with a great deal of confidence that is not a position we want to adopt. The relationship between Heights residents and Skyview High School, or School District 2 for that matter, is once again a mess and continuing to deteriorate. Smokers, and their friends, now roam the neighborhoods surrounding Skyview and the following problems have ensued: a) Trash – Neighbors must now pick up trash left in their yards by student smoker and their friends. b) Trespassing – The smokers and their friends trespass. Recently a mother called to complain that a group of high school students, some of whom were smokers, were frequently congregating outside her home and that her young son was afraid to walk past them while enroute to his morning school bus. Similarly, a woman recently came home during the lunch hour to find a group of high school students sitting on her back deck eating lunch and smoking. So much for a little lunch time peace and quiet…. c) Vandalism – A neighbor recently had his car keyed by a smoker and his friends. Another neighbor returned home to find cigarette burns in his vinyl fence. Last Thursday, another neighbor, who had previously complained about smokers in her yard, suffered retaliation. A backyard volleyball set had been destroyed. Criminal charges are pending. Another neighbor reported a smoker and his friends were taunting her dog. After reporting the problem to school officials, the students returned and released the dog from it’s fenced pen. Of course, all of this occurred outside the view of the school security system. d) Assaults – Before Christmas break, a student, a smoker, was beaten up by a student who had dropped-out. And just today a second student was also assaulted in a residential area surrounding Skyview. Could this have occurred at Smoker’s Corner? Certainly. Was it likely to occur? No. Why? Because everyone knew Smoker’s Corner was monitored by the school security system. One of the many benefits of the school surveillance system is that it deters outside trouble-makers. It also deters serious, illegal activity by students. Everyone knows they are being watched and that it is recorded. Unfortunately, student smokers and their friends are now disbursed beyond the reach of the security system. And that is an open invitation for trouble. e) School Resource Officer – You may be now asking yourself, “So why isn’t the School Resource Officer doing anything about this?” Well, he is dealing with the issue. So much so that he is now overwhelmed with those issues and unable to devote time to other on-campus issues. The resources of our community are not limitless. We all have limitations, including our schools and police department. It comes down to priorities. Where are our priorities? The area surround Skyview is once again an appealing target for criminal activity, which an expensive surveillance system can no longer help deter. And relations with the outside community are deteriorating.

IV. Mill Levy: The School Board recently decided to put a new Mill Levy before the public. Unless the current conditions change, the Board should not expect support from residents who surround Skyview. To do otherwise would be incredibly naïve.

V. Consistency: Consistency. If the District continues to adhere to a “Zero Tolerance” policy regarding student smoking it must address the issue of smokers outside the Lincoln Center. My office is located downtown, across the street from the Lincoln Center and I am well aware that students frequently smoke outside the building on public sidewalks. If it’s consistency the Board is after, you need to do something about that. But be prepared for the ramifications. I suspect the downtown community will not be happy if they begin to experience problems similar to those currently endured by Heights residents. Additionally, thought should be given to the safety ramification of students frantically jay-walking across a busy 4th Avenue so they can get to class after getting a smoke in front of my office. Personally, I prefer a smoking kid over a traffic fatality.

VI. Possible Solutions: You and other members of the board are continually confronted with problems. And here I am throwing another log onto the fire. With that said, I will attempt to offer some possible solutions; or at least a few options which may be worth exploring. a) Property Boundaries – When city officials were recently asked about sidewalks surrounding public schools, they reported sidewalks are CITY PROPERTY, not school property. Smoker’s Corner was located on a city sidewalk. I’m not a legal expert, but I believe this may be an issue worth exploring. It may provide the latitude to address a significant problem with some flexibility and creativity, while preserving the District’s responsibility to enforce important rules. b) Smoking Cessation Class – Plans are already underway at Skyview to implement a smoking cessation class to help those student smokers who want to quit smoking, but need help. The class will begin tomorrow. By no means is this a comprehensive solution to the Smoker’s Corner dilemma, but it can be an important component of an overall plan. Once again, it’s the resourcefulness of school officials, which is providing a meaningful and realistic solution. My wife, Patti, a Special Ed teacher at Skyview can tell you more about that initiative. c) Administrators: - Give highly paid, experienced administrators, who know their schools and students the opportunity to do their job. They are very talented, resourceful individuals, if given the opportunity. Rules and policy have their place, but not at the expense of ingenuity and common sense. Bureaucratic solutions for broad, far reaching problems can be disastrous. Problems generated by “cookie cutter” solutions can be costly and far exceed the scope or severity of the original problem. We as a community should be intelligent enough to not cut our leg off in response to an irritating hang nail. Let’s use some common sense to come up with a common sense solution that is effective and practical.

VII. Conclusion: The Board recently had the foresight to purchase a school security system for Skyview High School which has been a tremendous success. We need to give school officials the opportunity to use this valuable tool to address the student smoker problem, while beginning to repair damaged community relations. Ironically, the serious community problems which now confront Skyview are the result of a concerned parent. Although good intentioned, the action which subsequently took place to rectify the problem has been disastrous. When preparing for this meeting, my oldest son, a senior at Skyview, asked my wife and I what we were discussing. He was told we were going to meet with this board to discuss Smoker’s Corner. In response, our son, who is a non-smoker, became upset. He explained that when Smoker’s Corner existed he could easily avoid the smokers. Now, they surround the school and cannot be avoided. He was irritated that a successful solution to a problem had been eliminated. Ironically, the very issue a parent had voiced concern about, her daughter’s exposure to student smokers, is now a much bigger problem and with it has come many, more significant problems. Thank you for giving this serious and important matter your time and consideration.

Archived